Thursday, September 18, 2014

36 Hours of Touristy Attractions

The New York Times did an article on 36 Hours in Cartagena, Columbia. I loved the video that was provided. I feel it really displayed the popular attractions that Cartagena has to offer. The video showed off the cities beauty and culture, and it goes great with the written piece as well. They both convey the same locations. The video gives the point of view of how the owners of the shops and bars perceive Cartagena. The written piece is more of the writers perspective of his trip.
            I feel like this writer was too touristy and didn't really embrace the way of their culture. I’m not Colombian, but I am Hispanic and I feel as if in some ways she criticized their way of living. For example, in the section “hangover cure” she talked about a lot of the vendor breakfast food and how they come from a vat of hot oil. Instead of having those, she writes “for a more leisurely morning meal” go to Pasteleria Mila. Pasterleria Mila has a lot of sweet pastries and savory drinks. If I was in Columbia I would try to eat as much tradition foods as possible. Going on vacation is to experience things that you can’t experience at home. Pass the arepas de huevo (a fried circular corn masa, split open with an egg cooked inside) and keep them coming.
            Also, the writer tells us readers to go to Playa Blanca, “stretch of white sand backed by mangroves and lined with palapas.” While this sounds amazing, she later reveals local women walk around on the beach selling fruits and back massages. This doesn't sound appealing to me. It reminds of going to south beach and having people keep on asking me if I want cold water. I prefer the acting as if you’re a local vacation, and avoiding the touristy spots (excluding museums and historical sites).

1 comment:

  1. I agree that people should experience culture of the place that they visit. It's one of the experience that is unique and worthy for the time to see the diversity in different areas. I would like to see the video and read the article if you could paste the link, it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete